While I was reading these articles, the one that I thought I would have the most to say on was the one with the same title as this post. Even the title intrigues me, for a few reasons. First, a diagnostic approach to me is a meticulous carefully measured way with a check list of things that can be done, in this case, to motivate employees. Personally, I don't see how a checklist can work in this particular area, and a one size fits all approach would work to motivate. Some people are motivated by the idea of a potential of rewards, some are motivated by the prospect of losing their jobs, and some people are motivated by intangible ideas that don't normally appear on the usual lists by traditional motivational standards. OK, diatribe over.
The article does make a number of good points and observations about ways to change motivational tactics, which, arguably, have become stale and tired. Their new approaches they offer have some merit, as well. I like that their assumptions go against the impression that their title gives, particularly #3: "Different people have different types of needs, desires, and goals."
That being said, I do wonder about feasibility of some of their implications. "Figure out what outcomes each employee values." I realize that a manager has to deal with employees and to handle their issues, but to use their time to find out each person's individual motivators for each problem? When will they get work done? "Determine what kinds of behavior you desire". What if the manager's goals do not gel with the ideas of some of the employees that you just spent all that time finding out what each employee values? This article was interesting, to say the least, and I look forward to the discussions this week in class.
Tom, I agree in everything you stated. This article makes it seem like the sole job of the manager is to motivate and nothing else. Personally I have seen very few managers spend any time with motivation. I am also looking forward to see what will be discussed in class on this topic of motivation because it seems as though an entire semester could be devoted to this topic and the different ways to motivate employees.
ReplyDeleteReally interesting points, Tom. In all of the different environments that I've worked I can honestly say that there is absolutely no way that I could see the people that I was managed by accomodating more than 60% of our staff at a given time. Everyone is motivated by different factors and you're correct in saying that if management is to spend time figuring out how to work well with all of them neither party will be anywhere close to productive.
ReplyDeleteI think it's amazing that we're all talking about the best way, and these articles are as well, to manage a diverse group of people and we are all so diverse that we, as a class, would be just as tough for one person to manage as any group I've ever seen...hahaha. At least we all have higher levels of motivation, work ethic, and intelligence than most groups I've been around.