A few thoughts on class tonight and our discussions that took place.
1. Central City
A lively debate, and one that I thought is what professors talk about when they say they want their class to be a seminar of discussion. My group had a set of ideas that were not exactly in line with what was discussed, and we made a few more assumptions. We thought that it had to be assumed that the two African American officers would be promoted because of the court order and the fact that the promotion ceremony was that day. To me, "court order" doesn't allow for a great deal of wiggle room. Personally, I wrote the case from the female officer's perspective (oops), and I thought that her best option was to sue, or at least threaten to sue, because that seems to get Central City to buckle and give in to whatever group is applying the legal pressure.
Once we heard the real story and the abuse that the officer took, it reminded me a great deal of the story of the first female to attend the Citadel military college in South Carolina. Here is a link to a case study from Harvard Law that discusses her situation: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/vaw00/Case%20Study%201%20Optional.html
2. Toxic Managers
Everyone has had the employee/co-worker/boss that has the attitude that threatens to destroy a company. I liked what was said tonight about "Who knows what we could do if this problem was resolved and we all worked together?" I'm most definitely an introvert, but I try not to bring that into the workplace, because my job is one that often requires collaboration and group work. My co-workers can comment on how successful I may or may not be at this. I don't see a problem with being introverted, although I did notice that several of the categories of poor managers are extreme introverts, so it's all about finding a balance between who you are and realizing that how you act in the business setting affects those around you.
Tom
Working with you I can definitely say that you are in fact an introvert but at the same time you do a good job at keeping that at the door. As you said it is a big deal to balance home and work life. Which I am sure many employees have a difficult time with.
ReplyDeleteThis is a debate I wish I could have participated in. No personal attack on you Tom, but i don't think being an introvert and a manager really works...that's just from personal experience, not comparison of the definition of both.
ReplyDelete