Hello Org. Theory Brethren & Sistern,
This is supposed to be an expanded "about you" post to kick off the semester, so here it goes. I'm a townie, raised here in Kutztown after my parents took my from my birthplace, the frozen potato fields of Presque Isle, Maine. Yes, my father is Professor Grant, who some of you may have had for Accounting here at KU, but when I graduated from high school, I had no interest in following him into the business side of the world. I went to the University of Pittsburgh (Go Panthers!) and double-majored in History and Political Science. During my senior year at Pitt, I realized that time was running out and I wasn't going to find a job, so I enrolled in the MBA Program here at Kutztown. I should probably be in law school, but there's a long drawn out story that explains the reasons I'm not, but that's probably a little bit personal and a lot of bits boring.
That being said, I've really enjoyed my time here at Kutztown in the MBA Program. I'm learning about a lot of things I never considered before as I make the transition from liberal arts to...actual knowledge. I'm a Graduate Assistant with the College of Business, working at the Small Business Development Center in the Professional Building here on campus. I'm in my second year, planning to graduate in May, so we've crossed the halfway point!
Hmm, short of 250 words. What else? I've got Pitt Football season tickets, so I'll be out there this weekend to see them bounce back against the not-so-mighty New Hampshire Wildcats following that tough loss at Utah. Oh, and before Dr. Weyant starts considering me an ally in his Steelers club, I should clarify. Lived in Pittsburgh for 4 years, never hated the Steelers until I moved out there, now I'm an Eagles fan who would (and has) rooted for the Dallas stinkin' Cowboys against the Steelers. I hate the Penguins too. The Pirates? Who hates the Pirates? They're too small and pathetic. But the Steelers? Hate 'em.
That seems like to good place to end things. I look forward to this post having a truly horrendous impact on my grade, and I'll see you all on Wednesday.
Tom
There was always a big rival at PSU between the Philly kids and the Pitt kids. All the apartment complexes during football season had either Eagles banners or Steelers banners. It was very interesting, especially after many hours of drinking. Glad to hear you are an Eagles fan. whoo hoo
ReplyDeleteI see your not looking forward to the blogs having an impact on your grade. Im not quite sure if Im too happy about it either. I'm new to blogging never blogged about anything in my life. Is blogging new to you also? If so maybe you will get the hang of it after your comfortable with it.
ReplyDeleteAre you looking forward to the new football season? The Eagles sorry! is not my Favorite team. Im from NJ so I like the GIANTS! My motto for the Eagles is "hey there's always next year"! Im just joking hopefully you dont take my comments to heart. But I am interested in seeing how the Eagles will do with Kevin Kolb as their QB now and how the Redskins will do with McNabb! We will see how this season goes. And how the semester goes with this class. Looking forward to see how you advanced you will become with the blogs.
Hey there Tom,
ReplyDeleteI went to Pitt as well. Go Panthers! Not a huge college footbal fan, but I did enjoy tailgating at the games with friends. I did my undergrad in business, so I spent most of my time in Sennott Square.
Dr. Weyant - you can definitley consider me a Steelers ally. Too bad Tom's not on our side! I love the pens too! Been to a couple games and am a huge crosby and malkin fan. How do you feel about the pirates? Hahahah, not exactly the best team in baseball, but a fabulous stadium.
What was your favorite part of pittsburgh? I loved the city there! So much to see and do, definitley more happening than the lehigh valley.
Okay Thomas. As you know, I'm a 'Cuse alum and so we have that Big East rivalry going. I am curious about one sentence in your post where you wrote, "time was running out, I wasn't going to find a job.." I'm curious why you felt that way. Did you actively prospect, and even interview perhaps, without success? Or were you just not ready to begin the "real world" yet?
ReplyDeleteMatt, I went to plenty of job fairs and career days at Pitt, and handed out my resume to dozens of companies. I went to their websites and filled out their surveys and responded to their e-mails, but the only interviews I was offered were for sales positions (a.k.a. calling people). Many of the companies that were offering jobs were looking for people with business backgrounds and majors, which I did not have coming from the Liberal Arts side of things, so I thought an MBA would be beneficial for my future.
ReplyDeleteI understand. I think MBA is going to help all of us in our career endeavors; And give us much better prospects than the basic, entry-level, cold-calling (in many cases)type of employment. Was curious is all. C-you in class.
ReplyDelete