Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Paper Break! Write a Blog

First things first. Thanks to Jeff H for his help and advice on this paper. Check out his blog, he's got a few good ideas. Damn it! Sorry, the Phillies just lost. Stream of consciousness writing. Seriously starting to hate the Giants.

So this second post of the week will be about Conflict Management, but NOT much of what is in my paper. My own personal views, lucky you. I don't do well with conflict, at least in the professional areas of my life. If someone at work disagrees with me, that's fine, but if something more arises, I go in one of two ways. I either back off and defer, or I escalate and try to get them to give up and just be a complete a-hole until I get my way or the other person gives in. I don't think I've ever gotten to the point that anything in work or school ever needed to be mediated by a teacher or boss. I also just bottle up rage against people in these settings and take it outside, because I don't really think work is the time or place for conflict.

Now, outside of work, that's where the crazy comes out. Particularly when I'm doing something competitive, such as competitive sports. If someone does something in that setting that I don't like, I'm calling it on them, and I'm doing it loudly and publicly. Do I take this overboard at times? Yes. Have I been in fights that stemmed from both intramural and pick-up sports in college? I can neither confirm nor deny that. Have I tried to start fights in these games or tried to back-up someone from my team in these settings? Absolutely. Now, you all know what I look like and the rippling muscle mass that I possess, so you can assume that I do VERY well in these altercations, but that's the kind of person I am outside of work in that setting. I do participate in a number of pick-up things around here, and I know it's all in fun, so I try to take it less seriously, but if I'm losing, and my team's not putting forth the effort, I might say something. Sports are serious business, show up or sit down.

Now that none of you ever want to play sports with me, good luck with your papers, and I'll see you in a week. No class tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment