So I've been sitting here for the last 45 minutes trying to think of how to turn Tony Romo getting hurt into a blog, and still make it about Org Theory. I'd much rather just go off on another rant about how much I hate the Cowboys, but I don't think that's what Dr. Weyant wants with these, so here goes.
What does a company do when a leader goes down and there is no one capable of replacing them? As we're seeing with the Cowboys right now, not having a suitable replacement is possible of crippling an organization. Whether it happens due to injury, illness, death, or emergency, losing someone that everyone relies on can de-rail a team and a plan. An incident, like tonight, highlights the importance of having a qualified back-up who can step in when needed to fill the gap left by the missing leader.
Personally, I know that when my bosses are not at work for whatever reason, their absence means much lower productivity and a much higher rate of "goofing off" to put it lightly. Part of this is due to the fact that none of the students wants to step up and make sure the work gets done, because they'll be seen as the "bad guy" who's killing the joy of "no boss day", so peer pressure is a factor. PS-Peer Pressure always wins. I can only assume that in a working environment things like deadlines play a factor, but let me ask you guys, when the cat is away, is there a bit of mouse play going on?
PS-Despite the fact that Tony Romo did break his collarbone, haha, Cowboys suck.
The Cowboys are, in fact, terrible...that game was pathetic, and losing Mr. Romo definitely doesn't bode well for their prospects the rest of the season.
ReplyDeleteI thought alot about this last night, as well. You never want to plan for your leader not being around for an extended period of time, and you really can't prepare for it if that preparation would be detrimental to that leader or their performance.
In regards to your "cat is away" question, it really all depends on the job. I've been at jobs where the employees had more fun and actually were more productive when the boss wasn't around, but the opposite is always a possibility too. In my experience it all depends on how you're paid. If your pay varies based on performance then I think you take a lot less play time.