So this week, I thought I'd wax poetic on the Druskat & Wheeler article "How to Lead a Self-Managing Team". (20). No, I'm kidding, I'm not doing that bit again.
This is an interesting concept, and on the surface, it seems like an oxymoron. Why would a self-managing team need a manager? Aren't those diametrically opposed to each other? Who can we fight? Who can we sue? Hide your kids! Hide your wife! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble!
However, having been a part of organizations that run largely on self-managing and self-governing teams, I will admit there are times where a manager or overseer would be beneficial. People can get off track easily, especially if the "de facto" leader is someone charismatic who either intentionally or unintentionally leads the group astray.
The four factors and eleven behaviors the article lays out are all very good ideas, and as I read this article, I found myself agreeing that all of these would be excellent ways to reign in a self-managing team. That being said, I can see a few of these coming into conflict with each other, such as influencing the team and delegating authority. Influencing the team sounds a lot like managing to me, especially if what you want to do goes against the group's ideas. Delegating authority could also swing you into the "infringement zone". If you choose someone who the group does not want to have that power, you run the risk of violating the group's perceived sovereignty, whether or not that is a real thing. If you tell a group of employees they are a self-managing team, and then you start managing them, they'll realize pretty quickly that they're not as free as they thought.
Here's an article I found online with a few more tips for how to be an efficient "Self Managed Team Leader": Oh boy! A link! I thought it provided some insightful stuff, even though some of it is a bit redundant after the Druskat & Wheeler article. Anywho, that's my piece for tonight, I'll see you all tomorrow.
Tom
We’ll be washed and buried one day my girl,
And the time we were given will be left for the world.
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay!
Was a good link Tom, along with your thoughts on the subject. I happen to like the idea of a Team Based Organization (TBO), as cited by the link. I also believe companies will increasingly employ this model in the not-too-distant future as a way to stay productive, while meeting the demands of a younger workforce. It is my bet that this "Net Generation" responds best to a small group setting whereby a Team Leader is appointed, but has no official authority. If constructed properly, and properly aligned with the company's culture, the TBO can and will prove to be very successful. The authority, by way of supervisor, manager, etc. will indeed monitor the team and give them clear directives, but the team feels they have some autonomy to complete the task without being micro-managed. Personally, I feel I would thrive in this type of work arrangement. I would add, or implement that Team Leaders be changed every, say 2 months, or perhaps every quarter. This would give management the ability to gauge the particular Team Leader's potential to manage, while the team remains dynamic and motivated. I'm very intrigued by this entire model.
ReplyDelete