Monday, October 18, 2010

Time Management? I'm too busy.

Today's blog is applicable for several reasons. 1) A few people talked about this last week, and I wanted to contribute in some way, 2) I've got a great deal to do this week, so it's on my mind, and 3) I'm absolutely terrible at it. There have been a number of times where my classmates have asked me "Have you started on [assignment X]?" and my response has almost always been "No. Never crossed my mind." (Don't worry, Dr. Weyant, I HAVE started on my paper.)

Both of these cases we reviewed had firms that were struggling with time management as well. In the more recent case, RL Wolfe, the union plants had a particular problem with this when the machinery broke down. The floor workers often knew what was wrong and how to fix it, but because of the union contracts, they were not permitted to touch the machines until the mechanics/machine techs got there to fix the problem.

Words like "efficiency" and "effectiveness" are key buzz words in business today, and my Global Economy professor, Dr. Daneshar (spelling, I know) always talks about how the United States has the most productive workers in the world. He feels that as long as the US has this edge in productivity, it will be easy for us to keep our place in the world, but how do we ensure that this happens? Clearly, one of those ways is through effective time management in the workplace leading to the ability to do more in 24 hours than anyone else. Plenty of companies and government agencies have spent time and money to look into time management, and it just so happens that I found one -----> here <-----

Time management is something that people need in their lives, and as I've come to appreciate recently, its also something businesses need in order to stay on top of their field or to ensure their effectiveness.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, I am terrible at time management either. I won't start the assighed homework until the end of every week. I try to focus on the homeworks but usually can not make it. I agree with you that as a successful manager, we have to control the time, arrange the time appropriately. This would be what I have to do in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is that the older you get, the easier it is to manage time because you have no choice but to set priorities everyday. You begin to see what is important and what is not and what emails to delete vs what not to read etc.
    Time management focus will improve but the time throughout the day seems to fly by faster and faster year over year. Just when you master time management, you encounter 10 new challenges....good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very thankful for the time management skills and trainings I got in the military because without them I could not do the job I do or even think about working on a MBA and working two jobs But I must say the meaning of time in the United States is much different than the meaning of time in other areas of the world. Here we get upset if a train is a few minutes late or airplane does not start boarding on time. I was in another country trying to get a ticket mix up fixed and when the problem was solved I ask the lady but the plan left over an hour ago, she said this is not the state the plan is still has not left the gate yet thing run much slower here. I smiled and was thankful that the plan was still there.

    ReplyDelete